Saturday, June 6, 2009

Beer Can House, Houston, Texas.

The Beer Can House in Houston, Texas was created by John Milkovisch starting in the late 1960's. John began saving beer cans before anyone else thought of recycling them, but instead of selling them he covered his entire home with the aluminum cast-offs. He also cemented the yard and turned it into a mosaic of art details. When questioned as to why he did this he said “I got sick of mowing the grass.” As a teenager who despised grass cutting in those same years this man whould have been, to me, the perfect father.

Here I am in the obligatory Alan-Was-There shot. Get used to it!
Here I am in a shot that looks like I am the visionary creator of this artwork. This is the photo of me that would appear in some weekly alternative newspaper celebrating the genius of my vision. I have always thought it would be very cool to be the cranky old man who makes some odd folk art house and sticks his finger in the eye of the art world, but every time I start to cover my apartment building in aluminum cans the property manager calls me with angry words!

The Beer Can House at 222 Malone in Houston, Texas
Located at 222 Malone in an otherwise sedate, even a bit high-end neighborhood, near Houston's fabulous Memorial Park, you can drive by at anytime. The sign says there are visiting hours on the weekend and the home is maintained by a local art foundation so it probably isn't going anywhere. Very cool.

The Beer Can House is filled with amazing details such as this front gate made from the tops of cans.
Like many of these folk art creations the details of a life of creation are too numerous to take in all at once. Beer can tops linked together create the front gate to the home and provide one of endless photo opportunity details.

For many more and much larger images of the Beer Can House visit the Alan Around The World photo page!


Follow Alan's Travels!



Digg It | Add to Technorati | Save on Del.icio.us | Stumble It | Facebook

4 comments:

Nothing to See June 6, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

I am not sure I like the over all effect, but I love the idea. It must be one of those things you have to see in person. I love the recycling aspect and the artist vision. Cool.
Thanks for sharing.

Alan June 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

Ana - Actually, the overall effect is exactly what you think. It's a bit tawdry, tacky even. The artist did not spend hours crafting beautiful things, he just tacked them up and kept going. It's bizarre in it's juxtaposiyion near other expensive and gorgeous properties. Also it's very peaceful but just off of a busy street. So in person I think you get the same impression as you got from the photos, which makes me happy. Bizarre, not pretty, interesting, and somehow pleasing. Alan

Scope June 19, 2009 at 12:41 AM  

Having been here, I agree. It probably looked a lot "better" before the cans faded and they took down the pop-top curtains.

And the stuff embedded in the cement...

When I was there, it looked like they had just built the apts/condos on your right in the picture.

Alan June 19, 2009 at 7:13 AM  

I didn't know about the pop top curtains. I bet all the neighbors don't love this arrtaction!

Privacy Policy                                                                                   © Alan Mizell 2009 - 2010

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP