Friday, July 24, 2009

Burning My Work Shirts In A Symbolic Gesture


Goodbye Work And Home, Hello World!


In the backyard of a friend I made use of their burn pile and set five of my "work shirts" afire. Call it a symbolic gesture of cutting the bonds of wage slavery, a visual representation of, wisely or not so wisely, burning bridges.

Don't get me wrong, I worked for a good company and with good people, but let's face it, a bad day on an adventure of a lifetime is better than a good day at work. Well, usually!

I'm still trying to get the details and kinks worked out, so it looks like an early Sunday morning departure now. Stupid little details like finding five mini-blinds for the apartment. Trixi was torture on blinds and I can buy them for five bucks each or the apartment can do it for $30. That extra $125 will go far in India so it is worth it to get them done myself. Soon enough though I shall roll, I promise.


Follow Alan's Travels!



Digg It | Add to Technorati | Save on Del.icio.us | Stumble It | Facebook

8 comments:

Alan July 24, 2009 at 9:12 PM  

Thanks Ana, as the day wore on it became more fun thinking about it, like a giddy and bad little boy. I really liked the people and enjoyed my job leasing apartments but this adventure shall be more fun I think.
Drop me a line now and then and maybe with luck we shall meet on the road.
Alan Mizell

Alan July 24, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Maybe my theme could be to burn something in every state or country? Hmmm, maybe not.

Douglas July 25, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

Did you have to get a burn permit before you did that?
Damn, I am envious!

Alan July 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

Douglas,
Here is what is funny. My friend owns two homes, one a quarter-million dollar lovely home in one of the nicer suburban golf neighborhoods. The other is a ramshackle house in a low end area near the airport.
At the low end home, in Houston city limits, nobody blinks if you have cows, horses, fighting roosters, burn crap all day, even when a burn ban was in effect. But I doubt you could ride a golf cart in the street without getting pulled over.
In the nice neighborhood a ten year old can drift aimlessly on a golf cart, blocking traffic, and the constables just smile. But Near there I once set a pile of straw on fire and a fire truck came. They threatened a ticket and, using my water hose, put the fire out. The fireman wore complete asbestos jacket and helmet to do it. God I wish I had a picture of that!
Anyway, combat any envy by reading about my soon-to-be-pedaled miles on the bike. Check the temp and smile in non-envy!
You could always burn a work shirt and stay home!
Alan

Adorabibble July 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM  

hey reminds of of being 7 years old and my mother burning all of my fathers stuff (clothes shoes, etc) behind the barn.

it is amazing I can smell his tuxedo's burning, as I watch you do your phoenix from the ashes bit.
safe journey my friend!

Alan July 29, 2009 at 12:14 AM  

Adorabibble - Do you realize that is more common than many people realize. You are probably the tenth woman in my life to share a memory of a woman burning a man's clothes, including one oil tool millionaire!
Alan

Beth July 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM  

Haha! Very cute Alan. I kinda, sorta do that at the end of June when school ends and I ceremoniously close my closet and put the ironing board away for 10 weeks. Then it's just flip flops and the same wrinkled tanks and shorts all summer. Work clothes are such a costume.

I hope you made some s'mores off of that pyre!

Privacy Policy                                                                                   © Alan Mizell 2009 - 2010

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP