Saturday, July 18, 2009

Surly Bicycle Is Being Fine Tuned For Around The World Trip

That's Not The Way To Ride A Bike!


That's me looking totally shabby and straddling the Olive Green Surly Long Haul Trucker bicycle which arrived at West End Bicycles in Houston, Texas today. Chad is fine-tuning the placement of the saddle and such and I look as uncomfortable as that time I had that bad visit to the doctor!
After much measuring and remeasuring I took her for a spin and I have to say the bike felt more comfortable than any bike I have ever rode. Being properly measured and fitted to a bike means all the difference in the world.

BTW, I was wondering if any of you have any ideas on a name for the bike. One friend suggested Blue Passion and a couple of argu-scussions have broken out over here about possible names. Ideas? Send them to me or put them in the comments and I might just have a poll to decide the final name.

Even happier, little Ollie is almost out of the woods with the vet 95% sure he will make a full recovery. Me, I am 100% sure! Thanks for all the kind words while Oliver recovered from nasty old distemper and beat the odds. I compared his neck to his first collar when we found him being neglected and underfed. His neck is now HUGE!


Remember my mentioning a bad doctor visit. Oliver had his own funky MD moment today! Look at his sad face...Thankfully my own medical sufferings were not recorded on camera. Not that I know about!


Follow Alan's Travels!



Digg It | Add to Technorati | Save on Del.icio.us | Stumble It | Facebook

4 comments:

Scope July 19, 2009 at 10:28 AM  

"Olive"? "The Green Machine"?

(I went to an online translation sit, thinking "magic carpet" in Latin might be cool, so it gave back "Veneficus vestis". But I did a reverse translation back to English, and it came back "Poisonous clothing", so that's really not the thing.

How about "Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang"?

And what type of tech are your taking? I assume a cell phone and a digital camera. A laptop or netbook for blogging / email / posting? Or can you try doing that from an iPhone?

Alan July 19, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

Scope,
Poisonous Clothing, hmmm, interesting.
Chitty Chitty might sound different like Sh***y Sh***y, lol.
I am taking a cell at least on the US leg, later I shall see about overseas, I have the coolest ASUS netbook for blogging, still trying to decide if I want to pay for international cell data connection, I read that cell phone pickup is much easier and safer than wireless internet.
I have a Skype account at Alan.Mizell, still working out all the kinks.
After the dunk in bat poop bayou I bought a Canon shockproof and waterproof camera for the trip. Excellent pix, not SLR excellent I suppose but at least it will hold up on the road and is light.
I shall try to post about the ASUS as I was astounded by the features in a $400 netbook!
Scope, stay in touch.
Alan

Beth July 21, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

Hi Alan,
Choosing a name is important. It depends a lot on your own personality I would think, but here are some of my suggestions (stolen from fiction and history):
Gulliver
Spruce Goose
Sancho Panza (or Rosinante, or even Dulcinea)
Silver (yeah I know the bike's green, but Hi Ho Silver sounds Better than Hi Ho Green)
Kon Tiki
Beatrix Kiddo (so badass!)
Thor
Odin
Odysseus
Penelope
Green Hornet

Or how about an old fashioned woman's name like Hortense, Bertha, or Mildred?

Or an exotic name like Gigi?

Something punny like Zuzu's Petals?

Awright, awright, I give up!
Good Luck!

um.....Rosebud?

Seriously, you're on your own - no more suggestions from me, I swear, haha!

Alan July 21, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

Wow Beth, you are darn good at naming. "Green Hornet', hmmm, I like. What about old fashoined names? Doesn't Olive seem just so appropriate? Better than Betty Lou or Ol' Betsy. Olive. Olive Oily. What do you think?
Alan

Privacy Policy                                                                                   © Alan Mizell 2009 - 2010

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP